Arctic Cent – Dani, Dave, & Maddie’s Sound Project

Dani:

For the sound piece, we began by recording the Rugrats theme song played by Maddie on the piano. We then tried to layer it into a rap/hip-hop beat. Our goal was to take two very different pieces of music and mash them together. It was really difficult to mix the Rugrats song with any other sound piece, so we decided to look for two songs that shared the same bpm. We came up with Arctic Monkey’s “Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re High” and 50 Cent’s “21 Questions”. We took the instrumentals from Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re High, and layered it with 50’s cent’s acoustic rap. The majority of the project was done on Garage Band, but we did try to trip the instrumentals from Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re High using Audacity. This was extremely difficult and unsucessful. In the end, we were able to adjust the song so that the instrumentals of Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re High matched with the original version.

Maddie:

After finally finding two songs that we wanted to use together and deciding that we’d use the original Arctic Monkeys’ song instead of the acapella version, I went in and extracted the clip where they sing “Why’d you only call me when you’re high?” and integrated that into the 50 Cent rap. To do that, I had to take out part of the rap, then move the second part of the split rap a bit further in the song by a second or so. Additionally, I worked on the beginning part of the song when 50 Cent first starts rapping to make the entrance a bit smoother and less awkward. Also, I moved where 50 Cent sings “Giiiirl” a little so that he came in slightly later, since in the original the speed at which he comes in was too quick for what we liked. Since I’ve never seriously worked with sound or any sound editing software, this project was quite time consuming and frustrating at times, but after working in Garageband for a while, it became easier and more satisfying, though equally as tedious.

Dave:

I mainly helped out with the ending of the song and with streamlining some of the rough parts of the song. What I tried and failed to do was to take out the instrumentals of the Arctic Monkeys song so that we were left with the only the vocals. That proved to be extremely hard and way beyond my skill level. I downloaded tons of software and VST plugins for audacity but I still couldn’t extract the instrumentals without it sounding really bad, and even then some of the instrumentals were still present after the extraction. We decided to compromise with technology and Maddie was able to hide most of the disruptive beats that were left in the Arctic Monkeys sample. Overall this was a frustrating and hard experience that felt a little rewarding.

Leave a Reply