When we saw a video of a love story that presented daily routine of a man and a woman at the same time on YouTube, we were all impressed and agreed on doing something similar to it. Sapphire and Jacko did the performance while James and I mainly shot the video. There were several problems we faced when shooting the video. For example, the light was not light enough and the hallway- the place where we shoot the video was too narrow. But thanks to Marianne, we finally realized that we were the only ones who were familiar with the places, thus we could use every good place, every hallway to shoot instead of insisting on the one in the real dorm.
When editing the videos, I was responsible for the first part – the dorm part. It was quite hard to show the relationship between the man and the woman characters because we decided at first to use two messages to show that they were both broken up with another person. It was a good idea until I found that the mobile screens were too small to cover the whole screen in the video. Eventually I decided to write some words in the middle to clearly show what was going on. Additionally, I was able to adjust the man and the woman characters doing the same thing at the same time, like reaching for their mobiles and getting out of the beds. When doing the transitions, James actually helped me a lot because it used to be weird when the video moved to the next scene. He was kind of familiar with Premiere and it was a great news to me. He also did helped Sapphire and Jacko with their transitions.
I think something we could have done to improve was that we actually could try to shoot the video with the camera standing vertically. This probably may help us when cropping the videos.
I had an excellent time filming this video. Throughout the project, I became proficient with the use of Premier, and with the SLR camera. While we had some difficulties, they were largely a result of having our work on different computers. This made it troublesome to send each other our work, and consolidate it. However, we still had to deal with the standard issues that come with filming a piece like this. For example, some scenes needed to be reshot on different days, simply because the time of day was not right, and it led to a chronological inconsistency.
Overall, the project was fun to do, and I’m very satisfied with the work our group came up with. I’ve even sent it to my mom and my girlfriend, and they both got a kick out of it too.
Through this video project, I actually learned a lot, whether it is to create and
professionalize our own video or to stand in front of the camera and perform.
Although it’s a little bit awkward to see myself on the screen, I think my teammates
and I have accomplished the task successfully. Using Premiere, making videos
became fun. The scene switching effects made our video plumper and more like a
piece of music video.
During this video project together with my friends we did a lot. We reshoot a lot of parts to achieve the best effect.
As for me, I designed several part of the plots and the last part of editing and general audio combining. It has been a huge amount of work because we not only have to work out a time to work together but also have to pick the proper time and so on. Most scenes are directed by me. I feel like the communication between actors and one’s ideas are really important, and when one think of one shot, we should focus on every details but when we are actually shooting it, express as easy as possible. It took me a long time to realize that before we finally get to a smooth method. Finally our project turned out to be really successful. I learned a lot from this wonderful experience!