The idea came from this:
We then decided to animate Chinese classical paintings, and we spent a while searching for the right paintings and the background music. After that we divided our work and started to prepare the assets, which was not that easy for me because I had to separate a lot of layers to enable the arm movements.
After we animated our own part, we had a difficult time putting them all together because the size and color tones of the three paintings are all different. Taken a few advices from the class feedback, we decided to put the compositions in 3 frames and do color correction.
Then the biggest challenge came – my hard drive failed and I lost the after effect files of my part. We then tried several alternative ways to finish our animation including putting in the exported video instead of the composition and adding the background of the close ups in premiere.
Anyway I had a lot of fun doing this animation, and I am very lucky to have a teammate who helped a lot when my hard drive failed. If we have more time I’ll redo the ending part, because now the third singer is a little bit off since I added her part after I had exported the ending and lost the ae file.
This project was both the hardest and most fun to complete. July came up with the concept, and together we worked to choose the best paintings and songs to go together. Once we settled on those and made our storyboard, we divided each verse of the song (about 15 seconds each) between the two of us. Each of us then used Photoshop to transform our assets, which included separating our body parts and replacing the background of the images, as well as color correction.
During the Photoshopping process, I ran into a slight limitation; the movement of all the body parts we wanted wasn’t easily feasible, and after several failed attempts to separate out more than just the heads, mouths, and hands in a aesthetically pleasing way, I settled on just the aforementioned body parts.
Figuring out a way to compile so many compositions with different dimensions was difficult, but we were able to easily and successfully use the frames idea that someone gave us in class. Making the frames on the wall asset was not too difficult, but figuring out how to layer all the compositions together and make the camera zoom in and across took some time.
Animation proved itself to be extremely time consuming, tedious, and frustrating, but also exciting, new, and inspiring. Overall, I am quite pleased with the results, especially as this was my first time animating anything. If I had more time to edit a few tiny things, I would, but mostly I am happy with what we have accomplished. July was a fantastic partner who pulled her weight, and she was a champ when her hard drive failed right before the due date!