Recitation 3: Sensors
Circuit 1: Moisture Sensor
- The sensor didn’t work when we put water on one leg.
- We didn’t know how to turn on the buzzer when writing the code.
- The moisture sensor test the currency between two legs. Water serves as a conductor to make it a closed circuit where currency flows. So we put two legs into water together.
- Use “tune(9,1000) and noTune(9)” in the loop. 9 means the pin which the buzzor is inserted into, and 1000 means the frequency.
- When putting the two legs of the sensor into water, analog value rose.
- If analog value reached 600 or lager, the LED lighted and the buzzer rang.
Circuit 2: 3-Axis Analog Accelerometer
- We wrote “(x > 500 or x<100)” in the code
- The LEDs didn’t turn on when analog value satisfied the condition
- Use “||” instead of “or”
- simplify the code in order to find out mistakes
- write” int x = analogRead(xpin); int y = analogRead(ypin); int z = analogRead(zpin);” in the loop instead of in the beginning.
- choose a appropriate number to trigger the LED
- move the sensor quickly
- If its acceleration is enough on the x-axis, the red LED turns on
- If its acceleration is enough on the y-axis, the green LED turns on
- If its acceleration is enough on the z-axis, the yellow LED turns on
What did you intend to assemble in the recitation exercise? If your sensor/actuator combination were to be used for pragmatic purposes, who would use it, why would they use it, and how could it be used?
- a LED and a buzzer controlled by the moisture sensor
- Collector can use it to warn themselves if there is ponding in warehouses, thus ensuring an appropriate environment for their collection. In daily life, people can use it to know if water flows into their garbages on rainy days, especially for those who live in coastal or low-lying areas.
- three LEDs separately controlled by the accelerometer
- a 3D-speed game; an sports equipment to lose weight
Can you identify your circuit with any device you interact with in your daily life? How might your circuit be used to have a meaningful interaction?
- voice-activated sensor light (use a sensor to control the outputs); automatic sprinkler (use moisture sensor to interact)
- Due to the different conductivity of different liquids, the sensor can trigger different interactions through different analog value. Therefore, We can write different lights and music for different values. This allows the liquid to interact with humans through vision and hearing.
- virtual reality speed games
- When we move the sensors in different directions and at different speeds, multiple sets of data are generated. Experiencers can record their movements in the software by wearing these sensors.
How is code similar to following a recipe or tutorial?
To begin with, they all have an inherent logical sequence and format. When we are writing code, we must follow this logic and format, just as we can’t put food first and then put oil when cooking. Moreover, they all provide relatively clear instructions. Not only let us understand the specific meaning of the code, but also guide us to the physical computing. Most importantly, it allows us to adapt and create our own codes on the basis of correct logic and language format. That’s how code becomes vaious and practical.
In Language of New Media, Manovich describes the influence of computers on new media. In what ways do you believe the computer influences our human behaviors?
As a student, the most obvious impact I feel is that we are increasingly relying on technology and electronic devices in our academic life. For instance, we always use electronic devices to input articles instead of writing ideas on paper. Also, we use the software such as oneNote to take notes in class because they are free to edit and contain multiple medias.
Additionally, social media accounts for an increasing proportion of social activities. We are used to writing blogs, editing videos, and uploading our own experience and moods online though computers, on which case, it has greatly promoted the rise of the media.
Moreover, the invention and application of the computer greatly improved the efficiency of the individual, eliminating the production of a large amount of manual labor for low-level labor. Therefore, the way people work have changed a lot as well.