What’s working: toiler plunger (NEW!!!) as a funnel, motor stopper to let the marbles down, marbles (well, skittles/clay balls for now) going down the tube, cars hitting one another down the pvc track, flag attached to second motor.
What is arriving soon: marbles, dominos.
What needs to be done: test out marbles to see if force is strong enough to push car, test out car’s ability to push dominos, attaching top motor to arduino #1 to receive data via bluetooth/xbee and move motor, attaching bottom motor to arduino #2 to raise small flag once dominos hit piezo sensor, and send data out via bluetooth/xbee.
Process for getting to where we are right now:
We bought most of the stuff from our friendly neighborhood hardware store, and started building today. We recycled (with permission) a wooden frame some of our fellow IMA classmates built for their Interactive Installation project last semester. We spent a solid hour and a half enlarging the hole at the top of the frame to let the funnel through. Meanwhile, we prototyped and laser cut a motor stopper at the top, and cut a hole at the bottom of the toilet plunger (NEW!!!). We spent some more time taping the clear tubing to the frame, and failing miserably. We ended up using fishing wire to hold it up instead. We set up the pvc track and propped it up using cardboard and another extra tube Nicholas had for his capstone, and connected it to a clear acrylic tube at the bottom.
We did not take any photos during the process, but hopefully the video above is sufficient.
Update March 22nd:
We bought smaller marbles, made everything a bit more secure, tested out cars and dominos.
What needs to be done: attaching top motor to arduino to receive data via xbee and move motor, attaching bottom motor to arduino to raise small flag once dominos hit piezo sensor, and send data out via xbee.