My take on the circuit on fabric assignment came from not wanting to waste the material I was working with. After I had a makeup sewing session with Antonious, I used the ‘patterns’ we had couched onto the fabric to inspire the way I would lay the wire onto the fabric to complete this assignment. I also tend to take more material than necessary because I’m always afraid of running out. I realised when I laid out the pattern on the embroidery hoop that I’d have way too much. Rather than cut the wire to make it shorter, I soldered everything together to make curving/looping patterns to fit the whole wire on the fabric. To hold the ‘un-couched’ wire down to the embroidery hoop, I used scotch tape, which wasn’t the most effective tape to use, but it was better than nothing. Next time, I’ll experiment with other tapes.
The last part of the assignment was to incorporate conductive thread into the circuit. I made the mistake that I had tried so hard to avoid earlier and unfortunately, it was too late when I found out. Like many of my classmates, I create a break in between two wires and then soldered their exposed ends into two loops which I had hoped to run a needle with conductive thread through, possibly even making a design with the conductive thread. I would have enjoyed attempting to embroider with conductive thread. There were 2.5 problems with this set up:
- My conductive thread was too frayed at the edges to go through the needle loop
1.5. The ER was closed
- The loops I had created from exposed wire were too narrow to feed the needle through.
My plan B was to use my hands to feed the thread through the loops. I was pretty set on attempting to embroider, so I was possibly a little too gentle with this thread as to not induce further fraying. Finally, I gave up on the entire endeavour and just did my best to force the thread through each loop, thus completing the circuit, allowing electricity to flow, and the LED to light up when the button is pushed.