Fairy Tale Project

STORY

Set up:

The fairy tale I chose is a Korean origin story, and I modified it by reversing the characters of my story: instead of the two children getting chased by the tiger, the biggest and scariest threat at the time, I had two tigers getting chased by a hunter, the biggest and scariest threat of our time. To keep the Korean elements in tact, I used traditional Korean palettes for each character, and to give my animation a story book/paper feel, I used low poly/geo shapes for the models.

Development:

Initially, I had four characters. Two tigers as the protagonist, the mother to set up the scene, and the hunter as the antagonist. However, when I started modeling and story boarding, I found it was going to be a lot more work than I anticipated, so I cut out all the non-essentials. I got rid of the mother completely, and decided to indicate the hunter’s presence only with bullets and gun sounds. I also cut down a lot of scenes from my initial story board to simplify the overall story and the number of animations I has to make.

Making:

I realized it didn’t make sense to have sun and moon like lights if they were going to turn into the sun and the moon at the end of the story, so I created an environment with non-realistic skyscapes. I kept the overall texture and color theme when creating the environment.

STORYBOARD

Notes:

During the final critique, Sarah mentioned parallel shots for the beginning and ending scenes to show the closeness of the tigers, which I really liked, so I changed my camera angle to first show the tigers playing in a circle very close to each other, and kept the last scene of the distant sun and moon. At first, I will have the title page with the words “Sun and Moon” and fade it out to have the second “o” of “moon” turn into the position the tigers are playing.

As mentioned in class, please disregard the weird positions of the models (I couldn’t fix the glitch at the time). Also, some grass are floating in the screenshots, but all of that is fixed.

*The yellow line is the camera path, red and blue lines are the tiger paths, with blue being the one that trips*

Sound:

There will be music, fast and slow (ominous, etc) depending on the situation. Will also add bullet sound effects for when they hear the sound and stop, and as they run. It’ll fade out to indicate they are moving further and further away from danger as they move up with the rope. No dialogue.

Animations:

Here are the playblasts to the animations that are needed (they will be looped as needed):

Run Trip Walk UpRope LiftTurn

Set Up:

Story: 

**ropes that didn’t show up for the screenshots the other night:

Because I have the paths and animations done, I just need to layer the animations into the characters (fix a couple in between frames as needed) and render.

MOVING FORWARD

I definitely plan on rendering it out in full, then adding in the title page, credits, and sound post production in After Effects (will keep you posted).

THOUGHTS

I really enjoyed going through this class because it took me through the entire process from coming up with a story to producing a product. Being forced to question these stories and really taking them apart was something that I had to learn to do, because I was so worried about “ruining the original story.” And although I either changed or heavily simplified most of the elements, I feel like we can still quite obviously see the remnants of the original story. I really like that my current animation can be traced back to the original, but also be a different enough of a story to be called its own.

Story boarding was another thing I’ve never done, and I realized I overlooked so many frames and scene changes. I first thought it was going to be 6-8 panels but it was a lot more, and I am still at 24 panels after cutting it off by a lot. I had to question the distance and placement of the characters in each shot and why, and having to visualize and actualize it on paper helped out a lot. I decided to lower the camera to level it with the tigers for a sense of vulnerability, and kept it to be in “one shot,” so it feels like you are really following them, instead of it having multiple points of views or jump cuts.

Taking out the hunter and only alluding to him with sound and bullets was something that took me a long time to do, but I also like the idea of not having to literally show everything that is happening to the viewer. I wanted the character to be vague and general so I had it modeled without much of a face/characteristics, but I think leaving it to the viewer has a stronger effect (and less for me to animate).

 

Leave a Reply