Date: Nov. 17th 2017
Documented on: Nov. 17th 2017
Instructor: Jung Hyun Moon
Using Tinkercard to design a 3D model of a game controller utilizing joystick. My model should be 3D printable and be able to hold the joystick. The first important thing for me is to check the datasheet of the joystick to find the correct dimensions.
- I decide to create a game controller embedding two joysticks that posit symmetrically. So I first create a pink cuboid, with the length=120, width= 60, height=20 (because the foundation of the joystick is 18).
- The next step is to dig two cube holes to hold the joystick. From the data sheet I found the length and width of the joystick to be 39 and 35, so I tries to create two transparent cuboids with this exact size and with the height of 18, which is equal to the foundation.
- Then I drag the two cuboids onward the pink cuboid and adjust it carefully in order to perfectly insert it into the pink base cuboid.
- For the decoration part, I created two heart-shaped transparent cuboid and insert them by the boundary of the pink base cuboid.
- Then I came to the important step of aligning the inserted square and heart-shaped cuboids. At first they are randomly put into the pink cuboid so the position is not symmetric at all. Then I chose the two cuboids
After that I clicked the align icon:
Then several benchmark point appeared for me to click on to choose how to align the two objects:
After I chose the align mode, the two objects are posited symmetrically.
When the design of the surface of the game controller is done, I began to design the place to put the wires of the joystick. I measured the length and width of the bunch of wires, and inserted six cuboids from the bottom of the pink cuboid foundation by the group icon as shown in the screenshot:
After grouping all the components, the game controller is done:
Things I learned from this lab:
- To have the same unit of the dimension is the first important thing in the design of 3D modeling. I should always confirm the data sheet and measure the size of the relative objects first.
- In order to examine whether the 3D modeling is perfectly designed, I can change several views to have an comprehensive observation of its position from different angles.
- It is also important to keep in mind that I should imagine how the real components is put into the foundation, for example are the holes for wires necessary? After a careful consideration, I should also take into account all the possible positions of the components and come up with the optimal solution.