For my competitor research I did a combination of searching for existing portfolios and looking around on gamedev.reddit.com to see what people have said about portfolios. On reddit, the most commonly given advice about portfolios is that you need to clearly communicate if a project was a team effort, and if so, explain exactly what your contribution was. People in the industry also commented that they want to see some of your process. They want evidence of how your project evolved over time, not just the final result. Another piece of advice was to have your portfolio show only the type of work you want to do, but I am still considering whether or not I want to only have games or include stuff I’ve made as well.
When looking at examples of portfolios, both game and non-game ones, they seem to always put the work first. I originally thought I should introduce myself, but I now think that it is more important to show my skills. Another aspect that seems to determine how successful a portfolio is how quickly it loads. Hiring managers are often in a rush, and waiting for a site to load is a waste of their time. I would still like to include a demo of my games, but if this comprises the loading time too much, I will scrap the idea.
- As a user, when I land on the website, I can tell that this is a portfolio and know whose portfolio it is.
- As a user, when I land on the website, I see a header bar with navigation buttons, a photo of the portfolio owner, a description of them and their work, and preview images of their best work.
- As a user, when I hover over a preview image, the name and some information about the project is displayed
- As a user, when I click on a preview image, I am brought to a detailed project page
- As a user, when I view a project page, I can see detailed information about the project and additional photos or videos
- As a user, when I click on the navigation buttons, I am brought to a grid view of preview images for all projects in that button’s category.
- As a user, when I navigate to the project page of a game project, I will be able to play a short demo of the game in the browser without having to download any files.