IMD: Assignment 3 & 4

Assignment 3 & 4

Silhouette

In this silhouette exercise I pretty much followed our in-class procedure. But I made two versions of this exercise. In the first version, I made it seem like the subjects are aligned in a row. Here, the camera moves along the z-axis to give depth to the sequence. In addition to this, the videos start at different times. Here is the sequence of this first version:

 

For the second version of this exercise, I decided to have no camera movement. In this case, I simply copied and pasted the footage many times into the timeline, and I also changed the color of each of the copies in order to make it look more interesting. Furthermore, I delayed the starting point of each copy. Here is the sequence for it:

 

Particles

For the particles exercise, I decided to have a sequence for a potential version of my logo. I started by creating particles for the background. Then, I created the particles that are later seen through the logo. Since my name is Marina, and Marina in Spanish essentially means ocean, I decided to make the particles very tiny and blue in order to represent water particles. After, I created my logo with the pen tool, which then allowed me to created a mask for the outline of the shapes. So the sequence starts by having particles in the background, then moves on to showing the logo with the particles, and then this logo expands and fades out of the screen, introducing a graphic version of the logo. To do this exercise and give the particles different motions, I mainly changed the physics values of the Particles World effect. Here is the end result of this exercise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PrxcMuCzRI

Morphing

I started doing this exercise in a very different way than what I ended up having. My original idea was to split the video into many, many different squares, and them place them randomly within a cube shape. However, I did not realize that I would have had to create separate layers and masks for each of the squares, and this would have taken me forever. Thus, I followed Kefan’s method of splitting the video vertically and placing each rectangle in a diagonal shape, forming a stairs form. Below, you can see the two images I choose to morph (front view and back view of a 3D model of me) and the top view of the layout of these images in After Effects:

Open-Option

For the 30 second open-option piece I decided to use Particles.

Motion Capture

For the motion capture exercise, I followed the what we previously had learned for tacking a set a pixels and assignment those points to a different object. The only thin I did differently was the background color and the ring color.

High-Speed

I took this video outside of the AB, by the garden. As you can see in the video, I poured water onto the plant to make this exercise. To record this footage, I used my phone and used the slow-motion video effect, which allowed me to record at 720 p at 240fps. However, since the only way to record at these values is by using the phones slow-motion effect, I had to undo the slow-motion manually in After Effects so that I could then divide the video at different percentages of the speed. Thus, once I converted the video to realtime speed, I divided the sequence into 50%, 25%, 12%, 6% and 3%.

Horror Scene

Since the horror scene is only 30 seconds, I wanted to keep it simple. The scene starts with the subject smiling naturally, and then as the time passes the subject starts doing weird movements as if he was beings possessed by something or about to turn into a monstrous creature. When recording the scene, I started by holding a spotlight at his eye height, and then as the scene develops, I lower the spotlight in order to create a more frightening environment. His shadow also gets bigger as the spotlight lowers, and I think this suits the piece very well.

In terms of the sound, the two audio files that I used for this video were found at FreeSound. I added a white noise sample and a scary distorted sound sample. I think they fit my piece.

As to the video, I recorded the footage and edited in After Effects. I used several different effects, such as the gaussian blur, a red tint, brightness and contrast, echo, and turbulence displacement. Most of these start at 0 and increase throughout the video, so that it gets scarier and scarier as the subject starts getting weirder. I also added a glitch effect by downloading a glitch screen recording and applying it as the displacement map of an adjustment layer. I added this towards the end of the footage, also increasing steadily, and then increased it further for the last text screen of the end of the scene, which says “One day all of this won’t matter”.

 

 

Leave a Reply