知性 Zhi Xing (Know about sex)
知性 (Zhi Xing) is a sex education IOS App for Chinese children who under 18 years old and their parents.
It shows different contents to the users based on their age.
In 2007, a Taiwan female writer Lin Yihan committed suicide after publishing her novel Fang Siqi’s first love paradise, an autobiographical novel about her life. She was sexual assaulted by her literature teacher since she was 13 years old. In the same year, the red yellow blue kindergarten incident also caught many attention.
People has found out that lack of sex education has caused lots of health issues and social problems in China. Sex accompany a person from birth to death. Many people in China think that sex only belongs to heathy adults, sex only equals to sexual behavior. However, sex not only contains biological sex, but also contains phycological and sociological sex. The skin touch feeling the infant has, children’s understanding about gender, youth falling love, adults getting married…all belong to sex.
So I think a sex education App will be a very good product to help parents understand sex education knowledge and education method, and an interesting and effective way for children to know about sex.
“Sex education from family and school is very important. If the educators do not teach them sexual knowledge at the appropriate time, they will also get it from other ways, which are usually not good.”——Lu Xun
During the class, I made a brainstorming poster. The main idea is to provide different forms of contents including online courses, interactive stories, cartoon, online community, some offline activities. Various content will make the learning process more interesting and the children will not feel that they are ‘taking a course’. The main goal is to make this app fun and easy accepted.
User Research, Personas, and Scenarios
The survey content:
I divided the survey into 3 parts:
- Basic Information
- How do they implement sex education and the difficulties of it
- What kind of content do they prefer.
From the Questionnaire I found hat:
- Sexual curiosity is a normal feature of childhood.
- The parents pay much attention to children’s self-protection and privacy protect but do not teach their kids sexual knowledge voluntarily.
- They do not reject sex education and know the importance of it, but they do not know how to teach them correctly.
- Most parents learn how to educate child by reading articles like WeChat Official Account and enjoy parent-children learn sexual knowledge.
After the online survey, I interviewed some parents and get many ideas about making the App.
“I think prepositive sex education is necessary. I gave my son the sex education when he was very young, like 2-3 years old in a non-metaphor way. So when he gets older, he knows about sex, and will not try to find everywhere about sex education, because he knows it when he was very young.”
——Psychology major, mom, teenage son
“If there’s some parent-kid interactive play/offline classroom, I would like to go there first by myself to filter the activities.”
——Mom, 6 year-old daughter
“When I was pregnant with the younger brother, I tell my young daughter everything about pregnancy and having a baby. She thinks it is magical and I think showing her in the most direct way is very good sex education.”
——Mom, 5 year-old daughter, 1 month son
“I will give my young daughter sex education in a metaphor way, like dad planted a seed in mom’s body, etc.”
—— Mom, 4 year-old son, 10 year-old daughter
From the interview part, I realized that the sex education app is very necessity for children and their parents. Besides, the safety of this App also need to be promised.
Personas and Scenarios
I then built the personas based on the interview and online survey.
1⃣ The first one is a mom for a teenage boy.
When children reach teenage age, they usually do not tend to ask their parents question instead of finding the answer themselves. And this is the time that they’re the most interesting the topic of sex. However, nowadays, there barely have appropriate sex education online, how can they find the right way? Many teenage boys and girls always watch porns, see yellow website, read porn literature to get sex education.
This mother is a counselor in college and she knows the importance of prepositive education. She gave her son sex education when he was like 2-3 years old, and when her son grows up, he knows about sex and do not that curious about it and knows where to find the appropriate knowledge.
I think about three short stories related to this App. I marked field of shooting scale and description of each shot under the picture👇
I created the user flow using draw.io website, basically, the user need to import their age to go to the specific section. And people can always go to the page for people under their age (i.e. 6-12 years old children can go tot eh 3-6 years old children section)
I made the wireframe using Balsamiq software.
I showed the wireframe to many people to test and got some very useful feedback:
- Sign out button/private code to open it. Given the situation in China, currently, people may see sex education as a relative private thing, especially for young children like 12-18 years old.
- Give people more topic choices on the education part/courses. “I would like to be more efficient when I want to watch a course, even tough it is short”.
- Really like the community Idea, especially as parents, sometimes listening to other people’s advice and see other people have similar story will be very helpful.
- DIY section is very good. “My daughter is a big fan of DIY, this way will make the learning process very interesting and I’ll say, efficient and direct”
- Give the user a ‘return’ button.
- One suggestion: make the App cute so that children will like it more.
- “What kind of game is in the game section? It is not very clear in the wireframe. “
Based on people’s feedback , I designed the final look of the App in Sketch. To better developed the APP, I focus on the section of 3-6 year old children.
Here’s the interface of the APP:
Here’s a short prototype video:
From the presentation, I got many valuable feedback from the professor and classmates:
- For one group, I need to make more personas. Different parents have different educational ways for the children and different children and different personalities. The parent and children I listed were a kind of parent, but there are also other typical types of people.
- For the visual design, try to match the style with together.
- For the App, the icon seems isolated with the content, try to pick an identity color.
- The DIY section is a little bit confused without explanation, try to change it to DIY Purchase/Shopping, etc.
I would absolutely love to further develop the APP. This topic is lack in China and I feel we need to fill the blank. This APP might not gonna change the situation in China completely, but I’m sure it will make some differences to children and parents.
- Pinterest. com
Special Thanks to
Professor Azure Tianran Qian