Project: Audio Project
Team member: Eric W.
Documented by: Angela Zheng
webpage link: http://192.168.50.184/~wl1508/commLab/audio/
Date: October 30, 2017
This documentation report will explain the concept and the development of my partner and I’s Audio Project.
Overview: For our audio Project, Eric and I visually portrayed remix songs. We use the visualization of wave frequencies to let users understand the high and low volume and pitch of a song. This also benefit a user if he or she is deaf because he or she will visually see if the song is up tempo or slow tempo and also the pitches of the music. We split up the work in a way where Eric can code the interactive experience and incorporate the wave frequency where as I remix some songs together. Our audio project also lets users DJ up the songs as we incorporated buttons on the bottom to let users click through each filter so they can see the changes it brought on to the original remix songs.
Ideation: Our idea stem out of a website that Eric saw. On that website it only showed the wave frequency that matched up with a song. From there on we began our project. We really wanted to let users see the changes of wave frequency through “DJing” more of the song, thus we added the filter buttons on the bottom.
Developmental Process: I used Audacity to remix two songs which were Closer by the Chainsmokers and Break Free by Arianna Grande. I put links in the credit section where you can hear the original version before I remixed it. Although it was very tedious in trying to figure Audacity out. I had a great time remixing the songs. I used a lot of effects including amplify, change pitch, change tempo, phaser, paul stretch, fade in and fade out, and wahwah. It was fun to see how the music change so much from the original. The hardest part was making it sound good as these effects were hard to balance. However, I feel like I did a good job in making these two songs work. Furthermore, I had to find out four filters that can really drastically change the song even more for our bottoms. Thus, I played around and came up with wahwah(ripples), high pass filter, low pass filter, and no vocal.
Final Result: I am really happy with the result of my project. I feel Eric did a great job in incorporating the wave frequency for our project. Although the coding was difficult as we found out later that users can only click once on the filters. Thankfully, Ms.Chen figured it out (if your reading this Thank You!!!). Overall, I am really happy how the audio project came out.
Lessoned Learned: Through this project, I learned there is an infinite amount of possibility one can do with music. I feel like it is really easy to manipulate it and in the modern society now that could be a good or bad thing. Even though, I only worked on a small software, I can definitely know why music producers enjoy making music. It is really fun to make it a music your own even it it stem off from an original.