For this final project, I paired up with Sidra and started working together with some ideas in mind. Some ideas we suggested were using the limited edition cards from the Bai Qi pockies to make a game, using them to report the weather’s situation of the week, or making an automaton monkey using servos. We decided to do the latter, since we would need to buy many pockies in order to get the cards, which would be somewhat expensive. Regarding on the project, the automaton monkey will move its limbs according to the commands given through a webapp, such commands are dancing, jumping, waving, etc. Since we do not have much time, we decided to break the workload into two parts: the overall skeleton of the monkey connected to the arduino yun, and the code behind the framework of the monkey.
Sidra decided to do the latter, while I did the design for the monkey, even though we ended helping each other in our tasks afterwards. We agreed that the design will be laser cut rather than 3D printed, since that process takes less time. At that time, I pondered how should the monkey “stand” on a surface while it is showing its moves. I thought of some iterations: a pole stuck on the surface connected in the back of the monkey, and a base that connects with the monkey’s tail. I decided to do the latter and made a wooden framework similar to those wooden “do-it-yourself” toys. The monkey would be hanging on its tail on a triangular base with consideration of the monkey’s center of mass. The design is the following: Monkey
Overall, we had some difficulties such as using non-working servos, having unexpected errors that we later fixed, and burning oneself with hot glue. However, this final project was a great experience to understand how a webapp can communicate with a device outside of its local connection. Here’s the LINK for the site.