With this current project our group, which consists of members Nicole, Chris, and Ebi, strived to make a website that resembled a social media application with the intents of social commentary of how social media taking over our own personal lives through popups, and music videos. Chris was tasked with the production of the actual website and the coding, Nicole was in charge of editing the videos and I was in charge of the music production.
Initially, we had ran into many issues with the creation of the project. We had a definite direction that we wanted to go with which is creating a website with videos and music which, when put together, creates a message. However, things such as the message, the layout, the video, and our own capabilities seemed like an issue. But, through discussion we managed to stick to one idea and followed through.
I had only created lo-fi hip-hop before and that was my only genre of music. We had decided that a travel video was a must, so we had created a beat that was light-hearted. That was what I had created for the video specifically. The genre of lo-fi is usually done with a lot of sampling, so I had turned to looperman.com for free loops and found the main melody. After that I had added the drums, mixed the equalizer to give a telephone effect to the first bar of melody. For this track, I had trouble with creating something that was short in length (20sec) which also had enough feelings involved, but I had managed to create the vibe. I believe that it was important to choose the perfect melody as it is the one that will give the feeling, while the drums determine how you move to the song.
The other tracks were harder because they needed to be a different genre and I have never really tried creating a different genre especially EDM. So therefore for the “Excursion” and “Durgs” videos I had only edited two songs by Stephen Bodzin called “Catamaran” and “Zulu”. We wanted to go with something that was really minimalistic in sound for these two therefore I had cut out the first twenty seconds of each track and made it to fit the video length.
I had come to the conclusion that the “Party” video did not require any music to be added on. The video editing stage of this particular video was well done and the noise that came along with the videos edited had given a very particular sound, almost as if it were music. Therefore I had decided the “Party” video didn’t need any music.
Besides making the audio aspect of the project, we wanted the website to feel authentic as possible and because creating a whole website that resembled Facebook would be very tedious, I had went into Facebook and taken a random post, used the inspect tool in Chrome and edited the names and comments which I screenshot afterwards. Having sent the pictures to Chris, he would later place this pictures under the videos to give a feeling that people had actually commented on a post.
The contents of the post had to reflect our goal of giving commentary to the overuse of social media and it’s effects on our personal lives through materialism and looking for appeal.
Overall, I think that we did a great job and worked well as a group. The team chemistry was definitely a lot of help and it had helped us get through adversities. If we could change something from our project it would be to fully produce all the music, as it does take a lot of time to find the sound and vibe and make a quality track in a genre that I was completely unfamiliar with. Overlooking that, I’m satisfied with our final project.