For my UX design final, I decided to continue on with the project that I’d been doing for the entirety of the course that I plan on eventually applying to my capstone. However, despite the fact that it is the same project, it’s changed so much since the course began that I wouldn’t be surprised if someone thought it was a different one entirely! For starters, in the beginning, the project was originally called The Art of Peace (in pieces), and while this may seem like an artificial change, it ultimately came down to the same thing that a lot of my changes were motivated by: the user research that I did simply didn’t indicate that people were all that interested in playing a video game (i.e. the “in pieces” bit of the title).
In fact, despite my initial impulses to completely gamify the experience, when asked on a scale of 0-10 the importance of having a game component to the success of the project, the score averaged out to ~5.58, showing a degree of apathy considering the alternatives (needing a game component to consider the project a success and not having a game component to consider the project a success). In addition, when asked on a scale of 0-10, how much of a gamer one would consider themselves, responses averaged even lower at only ~4.08.
But yet, those two responses drastically changed the direction of the project… Not only did it change the name from Art of Peace to S U C K E R S, it helped me reduce the number of personas I had to focus on to two in particular, it allowed me to simplify the number of interactions that I would have–which ultimately also impacted my user flow and “app map,” and it helped me focus my wireframes (both pen + paper and digital) and visual prototype to just interactions that had to do with playing video and the location-based components of the project.
Ultimately this is all just to say that I found the User Research phase of the design process quite helpful, potentially even the most helpful of the stages that I went through. And now, since I’m going to continue on with this project for my capstone, I’m pleased to have some more skills in my toolset. In fact, since giving my presentation, I’ve started another survey and started to circulate it through different social media channels. Though, I will say, that this time around I’m going to try harder to get respondents that I don’t necessarily know as I didn’t quite get as much feedback as I would’ve liked from the last survey. I also plan on definitely getting more one-on-one user testing now that I have a higher fidelity prototype, since the last time I did user interviews they weren’t quite the level of professionality that I would normally strive for: they weren’t recorded and the basic wireframing of the app made the responses much more abstract since the app’s direction was still in limbo considering that I still wasn’t that sure about if I was going to include the game aspects or not yet.
On another note, I was also quite pleased with the course because it enabled me to really get in the trenches when it came to defining the visual/artistic direction of the project. I’m extremely proud of how thoroughly I was able to design the aesthetic of the project, especially considering how early I am in to this capstone process! I loved searching through the depths of the internet to try to find the coolest retro UIs and pixelated icons, and even though I wasn’t able to include some cool finds and extra work that I did to make elements that worked with my overall artistic vision, again, I look forward to adding them as the year goes on!
Any how, here’s the link to the current Behance of the project and I hope you contribute to the new survey!