Interactive Web Page Documentation:
Link to webpage: http://imanas.shanghai.nyu.edu/~jlh711/FINAL/julie/cyberfeminism.html
Group: Ivan and Julie
Documentation by: Julie Huang
Description of Webpage:
Our webpage consists of a main page, a 2nd main page, and 4 subpages. Our first main page resembles the older Windows XP computer, but once you click on the file in the middle of the page, it leads you to the 2nd main page that resembles a more modern day, punk rock type feel page. Within the 2nd main page, there are 4 important figure to the technology industry that we chose to display and explain their life story and accomplishments/impacts on the world they have had. If you click on one of the women, it leads you to a separate, individualized page of them.
Ivan and I had a difficult time and we jumped around from idea to idea until we landed on the idea of cyberfeminism. Initially, we had coded the 2nd main page to be our main page, but found it difficult to keep in theme with our 4 sub pages. So we decided to start from scratch again and create a completely new webpage: our main page.
Our 2nd main page consists of a lot of gifs and has an added autoplay song. We have the borders around the 4 women change and the mouse pointer turn into a question to indicate the user should press on this picture.
Our 4 sub pages consists of many transparent png images. We used a lot of source replacement images to create popups and to hover to change pictures. Some pages also have added in videos and audio.
We ended up coding the main page last. We used source replacement for the works cited and positioned the wording manually.
We ran into a number of issues throughout our coding and resource finding process. The first was deciding what idea our webpage was to be. We kept jumping back and forth with different type of websites, but we ended up sticking to the one we first talked about.
When we coded the 2nd main page, we struggled to put the flashy border behind the pictures and have them change, but once we figured that out we were able to finish our page. There was also a lot of formatting on all these pages with % and px so that took a lot of effort to figure out.
On the 4 sub pages, we wanted to create a horizontally scrolling page, but using that function it would only scroll by the arrow keys, so we instead we decided to be innovative and place a very big width transparent picture at the bottom of the pages (and it worked!) We also tried to make popups when you click on a sticker, but the format we wanted the popups weren’t the style we wanted, so we instead created a transparent dot and had the image be replaced by a externally styled popup when the user clicked on the sticker.
Lastly, when we uploaded everything to Cyberduck, our functions didn’t work. It took a while to debug, since it was working locally. Initially, we thought it was an error of a misspelled video, but it was actually the src = function that had an invisible letter in between that was caused from a different language keyboard. So we had to re-upload to cyberduck and change the links in our main page.
If I could change anything, I would try and format everything in percentages to make the formatting universally the same on all computers. In addition, I would also try more to personalize the individual pages and use the same fonts for all the women just to make the page go together more.
Overall, I had a great time working together with Ivan and I feel like I’ve learned a lot through this project. Even though there were struggles, and things didn’t go the ideal way, we made it work and I am proud of this webpage.