For this project, I was using Jackie’s data of street artists. Street art has become a more and more important part of the city culture. So I wanted to build an album for them and help to spread this kind of culture. At the same time, I made the project more interactive by adding some feature letting users alter the music the way they like and create their own music.
The first thing that I did was to get familiar with the Google map API. I read through the sample and had some trouble understanding it, the map wouldn’t show on the screen. After I tried for several times, I figured that the API key was not working and I had the canvas and the map at the same time. So I fixed that.
Then I started with the “radio” code. Which I simply write the code of a video recorder with street artist’s picture on it rotating. Also, I write a simple simulator, which can control the music. First I wrote about all the thing in sublime using HTML and then when I started to have the thought of letting users manipulate the recordings, I looked up and found the p5 sound library was actually an easier way of doing it so I switched all the things into p5. Then I connected the mouse position with pitch and speed of the music.
I also added a typing effect at the very beginning and explain the whole project to make more sense.
I also contained the p5 geolocation library and managed to grab the longitude and latitude. If I have enough data, I really want to expend the map and let users to get information of the street artists of their current location.