At this point, I have tried several sensors and several different ways of placing the sensors. I elaborated this in greater details in last week’s post here . I’m still yet to try the MindWave headset that Leon suggested. This will definitely be one of my top priorities.
2. 3D Models
I actually began working on the 3D models of the flowers much earlier in the process. However, Prof Naimark suggested that I focused on the sensor part of the project first. This advice turned out to be very valuable as I did run into several challenges whilst figuring out sensors. The challenges ranged from not getting the data I wanted to not actually having the device in my possession.
This week, though, after getting quite a meaningful progress on the sensor part, I plan on resuming my work with the 3D models. Below is one of the models of I would like to continue working on.
3. Connecting Arduino to Unity
To connect Arduino to Unity, I initially did it without any Unity plugin, as demonstrated on this website. I tried using a potentiometer on the Arduino side and a preset 3D world example on Unity. Whilst this worked just fine, I did run into several errors that, I have to say, made me very nervous. In response to this, I figured I’d give Uniduino, the Unity plugin, a try.
Setting up the Arduino and Unity using this plugin turned out to be much easier. There are some points I had to constantly remind myself of, i.e. using StandardFirmata library on Arduino.
In testing out the plugin, I went through several stages. They were:
1. Testing out using the built-in LED
2. Testing out using a potentiometer to rotate a 3D cube in Unity
3. Using a potentiometer to change the colour of the 3D cube in Unity
I didn’t run into any meaningful problems during the first two stages, but I couldn’t quite figure out how to make the colour change to be gradual in the third stage. I suspect I need to make the variable change smaller, but when I tried that, I still couldn’t quite create a gradual change of colour (fading in) of the cube. This is something I would like to further explore.
Looking back at my schedule…
It seems that I’m quite on time. This week, as scheduled, I will have finished testing all the sensors I want. An exception to this would be the 3D models that I haven’t quite finished because, as Prof Naimark has anticipated, sensor testing would take a while.