The core idea in our audio project is to create a piece of dialogue that can fit into different background sound. Through this project, we want to prove that how important the background sound can be in order to make a story engaging.
In the beginning, we struggled a lot to write the script of the dialogue because it must be vague enough.
After we determined the script, we designed six scenes to present different stories. Here is the brief draft of the scenarios.
Originally we wanted to only record the dialogue once so that we could maximize the effect of changing background. However, later we decided to record the dialogues for every scene because it might be impossible to change the emotions in the speaking with software. We invited Prof. Mirrione who taught acting class in our school and some of his students to help us. We really enjoyed the process of recording, as we were amazed at how talented our cast was.
Next, we started to work on selecting suitable background sound. Our sources mainly came from freesound.org, youtube.com and NeteaseMusic. We chose Adobe Audition to edit the sound because we were more familiar with Adobe system. Our operations were very simple, like cutting, combining, adjusting volume, etc. Here I would like to introduce the adjustment of pitch. Due to lack of an old lady’s voice, Haven played her role with his normal voice, and I was in charge of transforming it into female effect. I cut his part out of the dialogue, and changed their pitch. Though it was still a little unnatural, the audience that I invited did not recognize this trick.
Also, Haven figured out how to add echo to voice, and he might introduce this part in his documentation.
When all the stories were ready, we created a webpage to interact with users. Basically it was designed according to the sample in class. Here is what our webpage look like.
In the middle there are six buttons, each containing a piece of sound track. When users click on one of them, the sound file will play, and the button will have a tiny change. All the sound files are loop, so users need to click again to stop it.
It is my first time to deal with audio processing. I tried my best to make the combination of sound more natural and engaging, and I have learned a lot about editing sound during the project. I know that there are still some flaws in our stories, and thus I hope to explore more and do better in the coming projects. Moreover, the collaboration is very successful, and thanks to the recording activity, we get a chance to know much beautiful voices.