So for assignment 2, we had to create something that represented us, and I got the idea of doing a palm leaf, because I’m from a tropical country. I first drew the thing in Illustrator and them imported it into Rhino, and that was when I realized that it was quite small in certain areas. I had also made it a small file size, and when I tried it for Assignment 3, it didn’t end up printing properly at all.
So for Assignment 3, I thought it would be better to just do a solid to actually make the most out of 3D printing. I decided to just go with a think S, my initial. This one turned out much better, so that was a relief.
PROJECT STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
– Recently I read a new about kidnapping in China, the Chinese government does not have strict regulations on child trafficking and crimes targeting children. The babies and children who were kidnapped are sold to other families who want a certain gender of baby or to countryside where people need human labors and the percentage of kidnapped children will see their is less than 0.1. The rate of kid trafficking was even more increased during the one child policy in China. And the number of kidnapped children are more than 70,000 per year, in US the number is 200 per year, but this seriousness of child trafficking is not often known by Chinese people. Therefore, as a person who loves babies and children, I decided to raise the awareness of kid trafficking. So my purpose for Digital Fabrication final project is to raise the awareness of seriousness of child trafficking in China. And with 3d modeling I want to express the kidnapped children and their parents’ emotions.
– LITERATURE AND ART, PERSPECTIVES AND CONTEXTS:
– Two main article and news that I found are attached here and I will use the statistics from the research papers. For the 3d object that I will be creating for this project idea is from New York based designer Troy Huang’s map of Manhattan using 3d printing and laser cutter(please find a picture below) and map the I found from one of the research papers(please find a picture below).
– I will mainly use the article(https://www.nature.com/articles/s41893-018-0065-5) that I found for the reference. My focus will be creating a map that not only for people to clearly see about networking and intensity of child trafficking but also where people can feel the seriousness and give sympathy to children and society.
– To raise the awareness of child trafficking in China.
– To express the seriousness of child trafficking with 3d modeling.
– To show to statistics and networks of child trafficking by provinces.
– To further engage in anti-child trafficking
PROJECT DESIGN & PRODUCTION:
– For the 3D modeling, I am thinking of creating a map that shows network of child trafficking by provinces in China and use LED on the map to emphases the intensity. For now my plan is to make the map stand itself and mainly use laser cutter to form and shape the map. But I am also thinking of putting the map down on the table and make a black box and put the map inside for better lighting.
Continue the idea of making vase from the previous assignment, this time I try to create a different design of the vase. My initial plan was to use grasshopper to make some shapes on the outer part of the new vase but grasshopper seems to much for me to handle at this point when I am not yet even very familiar with Rhino. I watched tutorials and followed the steps on the ppt but still I could not use grasshopper to make the shape that I want for the new vase.
So i decided to just focus on getting the design using only Rhino and the second vase that i made is the one i printed. As the size of model that I could 3d print is very small it will not be able to hold my flowers but I was so excited to have the 3d printed tiny vase and can’t wait to find mini flowers for this vase!!
The whole process took me about 3hours. The designing the model took me most of the time (except for the time I was struggling with grass hopper) and 3Dprinting actually took me less than half an hour.
Overall, i am happy with the result and can wait to print more!!!
In the beginning, I thought 3d modeling is something really complicated that will take forever for me to learn; however, I fall in love with Rhino so quickly after we designed a water bottle in the class. I think learning how to 3d model is such a exciting moment for anyone because you can create anything that you can imagine into a physical thing.
For the assignment, I created a vase for my flower(I often make bundle of paper flowers). Recently, I was thinking of buying a vase for my flowers. As I love having a bunch of flowers on my desk I could not wait to put one on my new table. However, I could not find a size that I wanted. So, I thought it would be a good idea for me to create a vase with a size that I need.
Learning Rhino and getting familiar with lots of functions in the software was much harder than Adobe Illustrator. So, it was often frustrated to design the model that I want. But once the designed was completed, I loved it and I want to further explore the software.
According to what we have learned in first week of classes. I create a 2D illustration using Adobe Illustrator. The design that I created is to celebrate the coming Mid-autumn Festival. I found a background picture on the internet and I simplified the picture to on Illustrator to fabricate the design using the laser cutter, vinyl cutter, and embroidery machines.
It took me really long time to create the design on the illustrator as I am not so familiar with the software yet. However, I got really excited to see my final design and the fabricated versions. I decided to use all three machines since I wanted to practice operating the machines and couldn’t wait to see how my design would be fabricated differently.
After the fabrication, my favorite one turned out to be the embroidery badge because I love to see my fabricated design with the color! However, among three machines I think it was the most complicated machines to use.
Visualone allows you to project visuals by just using your phone’s flashlight.
The purpose of my project is pure entertainment and visual stimulation. Recently, in my RAPS class, we have seen many examples of artists working with light and projections of abstract shapes in order to make short films and animations. This is something I am very interested in and would love to make my own little visual maker by only using my phone’s flashlight and Visualone.
Visualone does not necessarily resolve an everyday-life problem. However, I have been wanting to buy a projector for this specific use for quite a long time, and since I still have not bought one yet, I think this is a great opportunity to make something similar to a projector.
Marry Ellen Bute is the main artists that inspired my for my project. Marry Ellen Bute’s main artworks involve visual music. She created an oscilloscope that could be played like an instrument. So this is how she created her visual music. In my project, I will only concentrate on creating the visual aspect of it, as it is what interests me the most. My project will not be nearly as complicated as Bute’s oscilloscope, but I am very interested in using light and laser-cut templates as my visual machine.
Another of the works that inspired me was this 3D printing system, where Trussfab creates joints which are then attached to plastic bottles in order to create large-scale structures. Although I will not be creating large structures, the reason why this was inspiring for me is because by creating very tiny connections, you can actually connected larger objects together. Thus, I want to create joints that are easy to attach to the templates, so that numerous templates can be placed on top of each other, while at the same time allowing them to rotate manually.
My own iteration of this project will be an improvement mainly because I am making it so that I can use it with my iPhone’s flash light. Thus it’ll be relatively easy to use and to produce. Furthermore, if I get ‘bored’ of the templates I have, I can design new ones and use them.
Project Design and Production
In order to create Visualone I will use Illustrator and Rhinoceros as the main softwares for my project, as well as laser-cutting and 3D printing as the methods to reflect what I design. Digital fabrication is crucial for this project because I need it’s accuracy and perfection to both design the templates and create the joints for the templates.
Here is a sketch of the very basic structure of Visualone. It will probably be a box where the user puts their phone inside of it, facing downwards so that the flashlight points directly to the templates.
Here you can see some of the designs I have created as an example for what the templates of Visualone will end up looking like:
This assignment requires to make a 3D model in Rhino and then use the 3D printer to print the model out. I used the same 3D model I made in Rhino as my assignment 2.
So first I saved the model as STL file and send it to the computer which connects to the 3D printer. I scaled the model to 50mm width and applied the high quality file and then started printing. However, this time the model was able to be printed completely because the top part of the headphone is too thin, and I didn’t choose to add more support.
Then I decided to print a bigger one, adding more support to it as well. This time the printing process completed successfully, the only thing is I can’t take the support thing out.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE: For a long time, a lot of my friends’ from NYUSH have been fans of a cool sticker-like cardholder that was distrubuted by Student Life. People have been dying to get one because it is so convenient and easy to use. Hence, I had an idea of creating a phone case that already has a cardholder attached to it. This way, the cardholder part will never fall down or detach from the case. Moreover, since the materials I am going to use are going be super flexible, the case will not only provide room for your card but also protect the phone from damage.
PERSPECTIVES AND A CONTEXT:
To be honest, I wasn’t particularly inspired by anyone or anything, I just got an idea out of thin air. I’ve always had the cardholder and a couple of time I would lose the cards because they would just slip away. So, I thought why not create my own case that would address this issue and make it easier to carry around.
There is a ton of iPhone cases being 3D modeled every minute out there. I want to use some of techniques I’ve found on SketchFab to create my own. Here is a couple of works I like:
People will have a better phone case that can be used both for damage prevention and card holding.
Convenience is a significant factor.
Your card will not slip away.
You will not lose the cardholder itself because it’s going to be one piece.
The design is flexible and can be updated to facilitate different people’s tastes.
There is been a lot of similar phone cases that have the same features but most of them were flawed in a serious way, so it would be nice to attempt and fix that.
PROJECT DESIGN AND PRODUCTION:
Vinyl Cutter for the sticker on top
Resin, silicon. Anything that is flexible enough.
I want to first 3D model it in Blender or Rhino, then print it multiple times to find a better scale. Later on, I will design a sticker that will be used on the side of the case.
I’ve already started working on the 3D modeling part. So far so good, it’s going pretty smoothly and easily.
After having a descent practice through last assignment, I want to make something different and kind of complex this time. So the pictures shown above are the final look of my 3d model “swan”. It was kinda hard for me to create this model, it took me almost 3 hours to actually finish it.