Look at above slides for the initial beginnings/photos of the project, I believe google slides only allows a limited amount of photos so the rest of the report/documentation will continue here. ‘
Creating The Base
So to go along with the head, I used an elephant model that was then stripped of needless parts, had its holes and errors filled in, and then simplified. The initial idea being like with the head in the creation process.
Also, added photos for the head portion of the project, these are part of the failed head, but still serve as a base from where the project has come. Warning they are pretty deep into the uncanny valley and could definitely serve as nightmare fuel.
Following this, the models were imported into Slicer for Fusion 360 and then broken up into sections that could be laser cut, folded, and assembled.
It is at this point, that I ran into even more trouble, I was not aware of just how much time it would take to assemble all of these pieces as a full size of cardboard in the laser cutter would only cut maybe 1-2 pages and furthermore, these forms were only for the purpose of laser cutting paper and then folding them. In order to use cardboard as I intended, I was actually supposed to separate the models into individual pieces rather than these fold-able pieces which actually couldn’t be folded as cardboard.
Luckily, some guidance by Marcela lead me to a better path. I already had the models ready, instead of simplifying them, and then separating them I could just take the original models and then straight 3d print them. With some minor modification to the models I had I could just assemble them quite easily. On top of all this Marcela gave excellent suggestions in the use of the Skanect for photogrammetry which would instead use the Xbox Kinect in order to create the personal models quick and easy. Furthermore, using either the laser cutter, embroidery machine, or vinyl cutter I could further cut a QR code out that would link to my WeChat wallet allowing my project to transcend its physical coils.
First, up was recreating the facial model using my actual face again.
Then was the modification of the base this was essentially returning to the original model (still no head) and then adding a hole to take out any donated money and a slot to actually donate physical money.
The end result of the models would be a combination that looks comparable to examples below.
In addition, this was the QR code that others would scan in order to donate via WeChat (feel free to try it out).
However, even with all the models ready to go and print, all was not said and done. Upon trying to print the body first I found that print constantly at different moments of production.
Now wait a minute, that one looks suspiciously finished and messed up no? Well upon closer observation of the model it turns out that there was an issue with the model that would only appear in the scan before printing, visually nothing was wrong with the model, but the printer simply did not recognize that space.
At this point of time, it suggested that I move on to trying to print the head while the issue of the body could be diagnosed later. Unfortunately, my first attempt at printing failed about half way through and every attempt afterward as well. even after consulting the slides during in class, trying to change various setting in order to get a successful print hours upon hours proved the endeavor to be fruitless. Hence the final product while structurally similar, is a bit of a far cry from where I want the product to be. As seen in a comparison below.
Looking forward, I really would like to get decent prints, to figure out what the issue with the body is and to have a product I can be proud of, a big step is probably leaving the printing to those who know a bit better while I continue to try, learn, and grow. Overall, this project was really enlightening I wanted it to be a good representation of what I learned in this class and while I aimed a bit too high the beginning, and was not able to attain the ideal result in the end, the process I feel has taught me a lot and has given me increased confidence in the processes and I hope going forward that I will be better able to refine this idea, to the idea that No Money could one day equal No Problems.
Also extraneous issue, I have serious complaints against my laptop sometimes as it enjoys to do this, especially after hours of work when models have not been saved (again, an issue on my end).