I started out with the fable of King Kacor, a fat cat who gets kicked out on the street, and by manipulating other animals gains food and shelter. First, I put this story in human context, so instead of animals, humans were the characters with animalistic features. I also added some changes to the story, such as his mother kicks Kacor out, then he starts to look for people to manipulate on Tinder. This way the moral would have been something like no matter what, if you are smart or can outsmart people or use people, you won’t have a problem in life. I didn’t really like the moral of the story, felt it too far from me. So the final version of the story ended up being a guy dumped by his love, and then he goes on Tinder to look for someone to ease the feeling of loneliness. I liked my final story the most because of a couple of reasons: 1, it’s simple, everyone understands the story clearly. 2, I think many people feel like this today, lonely and let down, and sometimes they just don’t see the beauty in life because they are so focused on the negative part of their life.
Cut-out stop motion animation:
I wanted to do a stop-motion animation because I’ve tried it last semester, and wanted to try again with new challenges. My last animation was more abstract, so I wanted to create something more straight-forward that is easy to understand – even without words. I think paper puppets are the perfect choice for this, because even with their appearance they can convey any sort of message. In this case, I wanted to create a world where the viewer can imagine him/herself in it, there is no difference between people. To trigger imagination they don’t have clothes, colors, distinct body feature, not even face. And not last, they look very neat. They are also two dimensional, but I tried to place them in a 3D world. I have an Ikea puppet, what I did was positioning it the way I wanted my puppets to be, and measured the length of the limbs. So while in theory I had one puppet, that one puppet had at least 3 pairs of legs, and two sets of arms/hands. On the pictures there is the “prototyping” process and the final composition.
I used white paper to see the shape first and just when I was satisfied with the result used the good paper. This way I barely used the black paper, which is good news for my future animations.
The shooting went pretty smooth, thanks to the closet room, I could basically finish the shooting over the break, so the editing part left for the last two weeks, which was doable. Apart from my story board, I like to sketch up movements, to see how many frames it should be to get a smooth result.
Problems with the shooting was that at first I didn’t set up properly, edges I didn’t want to be in the picture was hard to remove, so after one or two scenes I changes the camera distance and angle. Another problem was the battery changes, if the battery died in the middle of the scene, I had change it and it meant the image will move.
The editing part was fairly simple as well, again the story board made my job much faster. But Premiere Pro crashed at least 10 times, which was very annoying.
Things that made the process easier:
Prototyping: first with regular white paper to see if the shape works(so I don’t waste the good material)
Ikea puppet-to observe what and how can be seen from the perspective
Wrong Camera Set Up
Battery change: pictures moving
Premiere Pro Crashing 10x