Introduction to Kinect and Point Cloud
- Introduction to Kinect
- Methods of getting Depth Data
- Methods of adjusting Depth Sensing area
- Discussion about usefulness of Depth Data
- Methods of visualizing the depth data
- Creating a visualization of Point Cloud from the Depth Data with Kinect
- Introduction to ControlP5 Library
- Tweaking the visuals of Point Cloud, utilizing ControlP5 controllers
- Reading: Getting Started with Kinect and Processing by Daniel Shiffman
- Create a visualization of Point Cloud
- For this assignment, the focus is on practicing with Kinect and ControlP5 GUI library rather than making creative things.
- You must have a GUI controller, utilizing ControlP5.
- Draw a point cloud with the point() function and think of ways to manipulate it in real time.
- If you feel limited by doing above, consider to improve the visual by utilizing particles (object).
- During this process, be careful of the frame rate dropping below 30.
- If you want to create more complex and fancy visuals, how about creating a PNG Sequence video instead of a real time animation? Frame by frame, draw the visual and save the canvas in PNG. Then combine the PNG images(frames) to create a video by utilizing a video editing tool, such as Premiere, Final Cut or iMovie. If the visual doesn’t need to be shown in real time, there are various ways to improve the visual both in Processing and in a video editing tool.
- If you think the method above is too complicated, just do screen recording – using example codes already shared on this blog and GitHub. What kind of videos could you create by simply screen recording with Quick Time (or a similar tool)?
- Please feel free to reach out to the instructor if you struggle with coming up with ideas.
- The exercise should be uploaded to Kinetic Interfaces google drive folder by midnight every Saturday so that the instructor has enough time to review your work. You should upload not only your source code but also all of your media assets, such as image, sound and video so that the instructor is able to execute the program.
- Additionally, your work process should be documented on the documentation blog. Your documentation needs to include sufficient amount of screenshots and video captures along with descriptions.
Download the ControlP5 library.
How does the KinectV2 work?