Assignment 3 – Weaving
- 2 X 24” of different colored yarns.
- 1 Loom with shuttle and heddle (Design your own).
- 1 Multimeter
Your challenge in this lab is to take your knowledge of weaving and design your own loom to cut on the laser cutter. The requirements or your loom are:
- It has to have a shuttle and a way to create a shed (IE, a heddle).
- It has to be made from cardboard
- The design has to have a vector cut and a raster etch. Inscribing your names to the loom counts as a raster etch, but doing something more creative would be a better use of both our times.
- Draw a design and cut it out using scissors and/or a boxcutter to make a cardboard prototype for your loom.
- Once you finish your design, we will measure it in detail and create an illustrator file out of your object so you can manufacture it with the laser cutter.
- You will not have time to cut your project during class. Schedule a time with a fellow to cut the loom together using this link.
For more information on the IMA Laser Cutter, go to this link.
Once you have made your loom, try to create some of the following weaves:
- A basic weave fabric with some conductive threads woven in.
- A twill woven fabric.
- A weave of your own design.
Here are some examples of looms that students have done in the past: